Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Asparagus Avocado Tomato Salad

I actually made this salad quite a while ago while visiting my friend Kim in Chicago.  My first night there we stayed at her Dad's (Pete) house.  Kim's dad is one of the most generous people I know.  A few years ago when I was in college and interning in Chicago with Kim he let me and Kim stay in his house rent free for nearly an entire summer without complaining a bit.  This time he was just as hospitable and offered up his home (and most importantly kitchen) for Kim and I to take over.  One of the dishes I made that night was this salad.  It was super quick and a way to get a lot of colorful veggies on people's plates that packed a lot of flavor.


We ate this salad over dinner with wine while enjoying some of the stories Pete is famous for.  This man has traveled all over and seen so many things that he is great to chat with.  He loves to sit around the table enjoying food and company so we had a great time.



The trip wasn't just making food though.  Kim and I spent the night at her apartment downtown that weekend and had a fantastic meal at an Italian restaurant she frequents.  While there I had one of the best cocktails I have ever had as well as the most delicious short-rib bruschetta appetizer.  I will definitely have to post soon trying to re-create those amazing recipes I had ! ;)  In the meantime enjoy the salad! :)

Asparagus Salad with Gorgonzola Recipe


Ingredients
yields 6 side dish sized servings
12 oz asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2 inch pices
16 oz cherry or grape tomatoes cut into quarters
1 large, ripe avocado, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup basil, finely chopped
1/3 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles

Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 T. lemon juice
1/2 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Directions
1) Steam the asparagus until just tender (about 2-3 minutes).  Place in an ice bath to chill.  Meanwhile slice the tomatoes, avocado, and basil.

2) Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.

3) Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.  Drizzle with dressing just before serving.  Enjoy!

Try some of my other favorite salads...

Stacked Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Layered Cauliflower Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment