Monday, February 10, 2014

Spicy Asian Salmon with Hoisin Broccoli

It's been a while since I added some seafood to the blog.  I'm always looking for good fish recipes to try and get my mom to eat more seafood.  She has been working on eliminating meat from her diet but still needs protein and healthy fats so she tries to eat more meat.  I decided to marinate my salmon in an Asian flavored sauce.  I actually was attempting to replicate the dipping sauce they make at PF Changs.  I think I got pretty close... I guess I'll have to go on a fact finding mission this week to see how close I got ;)


This dinner was great.  I decided to make broccoli to go along with the salmon. It is just broccoli steamed with a little bit of garlic and hoisin sauce but it ended up tasting fantastic.  I would have preferred to serve it all with rice but as it turned out I didn't have any rice.  I did, however, have some potatoes so I figured why not have mashed potatoes instead.  The sauce of both the fish and the broccoli actually paired surprisingly well with the potatoes.


The salmon had really great flavor.  It was spicy and sweet at the same time.  This was the first time I have broiled fish.  Normally I either grill, bake, or pan fry it.  I think broiled is my favorite!  It gets  a really nice crispy crust on the outside that seals all the flavor in.  The fish doesn't over cook and stays moist and delicious.  I'm going to have to try to broil more fish in the future!

Spicy Asian Salmon Recipe


Ingredients
yields 2 servings
2 - 6 oz salmon fillets
1/4 cup hot mustard 
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T. garlic chili paste
2 T. Mirin
1 t. rice wine vinegar

Directions
1) In a large bowl whisk together the mustard, soy sauce, garlic chili paste, Mirin, and rice wine vinegar.  Place the salmon fillets in the mixture and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.

2) Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Turn the broiler to high and place the fillets under the broiler.  Broil 6-8 minutes or until firm to the touch.

Hoisin Steamed Broccoli Recipe


Ingredients
yields 2 servings
1 small broccoli crown, cut into bit sized florets
1 T. canola oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. water
2 T. hoisin sauce

Directions
1) In a large skillet over medium heat add the oil and garlic and saute for 1 minute.  

2) Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet.  Turn heat down to low, cover, and allow to steam for 3-4 minutes or until tender.

Pecan Crusted Salmon
Sole Meunier
Shrimp with White Bean Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment