Monday, February 17, 2014

Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas

A few weeks ago I went to a Mexican restaurant near my apartment.  I was with my mom at the time and was trying to eat less meat so I ordered the spinach enchiladas.  I wasn't expecting much so you can imagine my surprise when one of the most delicious Mexican dishes I have had in San Antonio showed up on my plate!  I knew that I would have to try to make these on my own sometime and today I gave it a try.  They were pretty fantastic; though not exact copycats because I couldn't quite remember the details of those I had a few weeks ago... guess I'll have to go back for more!


I decided to make my own enchilada sauce for these.  I've never made it before but I looked around at some recipes online and it didn't seem too difficult.  Then when I was at the store I discovered enchilada spice in the spice isle and figured that was a sign that I should make my own sauce.


I ended up really liking these.  Even Nick found them to be acceptable... though he did suggest next time I add in something like some chicken or beef ;) Oh well... baby steps!

Spinach and Black Bean Enchilada Recipe


Ingredients
yields 4-6 servings
1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
2 plum tomatoes, diced (about 1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 9oz bag spinach
1 - 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 T. butter
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
12 corn tortillas (you can sub in flour if you prefer)
1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce (recipe below if you want to make your own)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
cilantro, sour cream, lime, or avocado as toppings

Directions
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  In a skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and warm until shiny.  Add in the onion and cook until softened (about 6-8 minutes).  Add the garlic, tomatoes, and spinach and cook until the spinach is just tender.  Stir in the black beans and set aside.

2) While the onions/spinach cooks in a separate sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat.  When the butter has melted add the flour and stir with a whisk until there are no lumps.  Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until a light golden color.  Add in the milk and whisk until combined.  Cook over medium heat until the sauce has thickened.  Be sure to continue to stir so as not to create lumps.

3) Add the cream sauce mixture to the spinach and black bean mixture and stir to combine.

4) Stuff the tortillas with the spinach/black bean mixture, roll up, and place seam side down in a 9x13 pan.  Pour enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas, cover with aluminum foil and back for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and sprinkle cheese evenly on top of the enchiladas and back uncovered fro 5-7 minutes or until the cheese melts.  Serve with garnishes - or maybe even a bit of shredded chicken ;)

Enchilada Sauce Recipe

Ingredients
yields 1 1/2 - 2 cups of sauce
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup enchilada spice (or taco seasoning)
1 12 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock

Directions
1) In a sauce pan over medium-high heat add to oil and heat until shiny.  Add in the pepper and onion and cook until softened (about 8-10 minutes).  Add in the garlic and enchilada spice and cook an additional 2 minutes.

2) Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken stock and decrease the temperature to low.  Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.  

3) Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth or after cool puree in a blender.

Borracho Beans
Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment