Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spinach and Chicken Salad

So who doesn't love chicken salad?  Probably no one because it's amazing.  I have always loved chicken salad even when I was young.  After years of ordering it all sorts of places I have had plenty of different varieties.  Everything from mayonnaise heavy to a mustard curry... some with fruit, some with nuts, some with veggies... some with cubed chicken, some with shredded, some with tofu.  I don't like to pick favorites; I find myself craving different ones at different times.  Recently, however, I had a really great on at a cafe nearby.  It was mixed with spinach and had a really familiar flavor profile.  I asked about it and they told me they used Knorr's vegetable dip mix to season it... brilliant!  I knew I had to come home and try it.


I decided since it already had spinach in it I would try to make it even healthier and instead of 1 cup of mayo I used 1/2 cup and replaced the other half with mashed avocado.  It turned out to be delicious.  I am definitely adding this to my list of chicken salad recipes... though I have it say all this talk of chicken salad is making me want to make more... which one should I make next?  Maybe the mustard curry one.  If you have a good recipe let me know.


This recipe makes a lot of salad, at least 4-6 servings so I ate it for lunch over a couple of days. I think the flavor got better the longer it stayed because the veggie mix re-hydrates and the flavors all intensified.   I would definitely recommend making it the night before you plan on serving it for the best taste. 

Spinach Chicken Salad Recipe

Ingredients
yields 4-6 servings
1/2 cup mayo (or low fat sour cream or greek yogurt)
1/2 cup mashed avocado
1 package Knorr's vegetable recipe mix
2 cups shredded chicken
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed

Directions
1) Thaw the frozen spinach and squeeze out all of the juices (this is easier to do in a colander over the sink - just press down on the spinach until no more liquid remains).

2) Stir together the mashed avocado, mayo, and vegetable mix until well combined.  Add in the chicken and spinach and stir to combine.  All to rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to blend.  Serve on bread, croissants, or with crackers.  It pairs perfectly with a ripe tomato.

Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas
Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
BBQ Chicken Kebobs w/ Secret Ingredient

No comments:

Post a Comment